Friday, January 8, 2010

Class 6

Hey everyone!

Class 6 has started at AM and I am so excited that my new mentor is Mark Oftedal!! This guy is an amazing animator. He is said to be one of the greatest animators who ever worked at Pixar. And hes such a humble guy. I got to meet him for the first time earlier this week. Another awesome thing is that Toy Story is really what inspired me to become an animator and Mark worked on it! Thats so awesome that I now get to learn from him. Hes also the creator of the short "4pm" and it is incredible!

I just wanted to talk for a minute about "4pm". Hands are a very difficult thing in animation, especially 2D work. His short "4pm" stars a main character who is very simplistic in design. Basic shapes for his body, no real facial features, everything is pretty basic... except for his hands! They are super detailed and that is what Mark chose to communicate this characters emotions through. So the whole short the character is thinking and emoting with basically just his hands. Now that is impressive!! Marks timing and posing are so amazing that you always know exactly what the character is thinking, and all your really looking at is a pair of hands. Wow! (And it is all hand drawn!)

Lastly, I started a new shot, and that is what I posted. My goal with this one was to really think outside of the box and take the line and put it in a situation that you would never think it to be in. The shots not very far along, but I think it shows potential. Hopefully I will be able to use Class 6 to finish and polish it up.

Thats all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment